The Science and Engineering Center opened its doors to students in 2016 and is the largest addition to the campus since the main school building was constructed in 1931. The center represents the largest dollar investment in science and technology at any Michigan high school in recent years and positions U of D Jesuit as a leader in STEM education in Southeast Michigan.
The new $16 million, four-story, 40,000 square foot addition artfully blends historic features of the original structure with artwork and iconography. Located between the main school building and Jesuit residence, the state-of-the-art facility doubles the classroom and laboratory space for biology, chemistry, and physics; adds laboratory space for eco-car and robotics programs, engineering activities; and it includes dedicated classrooms and laboratories for seventh and eighth grade students.
Working with Wold Architects and McCarthy and Smith, Inc., G2 Consulting Group provided geotechnical engineering services and performed special inspections and materials testing during construction.
Challenges / Solutions
Challenged with upper weak or loose sands with more competent clay soils deeper, G2 performed extensive analysis to provide improved support for the building foundations..
Smart. Results. Fast.
G2’s value engineering helped optimize foundation sizes and reduce overall construction costs.